Can't find what you're looking for? Try our service search
Gender Identity ClinicThe service is based at the Porterbrook Clinic, Michael Carlisle Centre but is registered with the Care Quality Commission at Trust Headquarters, Fulwood House. The Porterbrook Clinic is one of the largest NHS clinics for the treatment of patients with psychosexual problems. The clinic works in partnership with the Department of Urology at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital. The service is for people with concerns about their gender identity. We offer assessment, advice or help with gender transition. The service eligibility and selection criteria is available here: Gender Identity Service.
Operating hoursMonday to Friday 9am-5pm
How is the service accessed?Referrals are accepted from any commissioned NHS healthcare professional or provider. We will routinely liaise with the registered GP concerning the ongoing needs of service users. As of 08 February 2018, the current longest wait for people still on the list from receipt of referral to assessment is 65 weeks. The average waiting time currently is 51 weeks if you are able to accept the first appointment offered by the service. Please note that there are ongoing changes to the service following increased investment via NHS England to help the service meet increasing demand. We are hopeful that the wait that you experience for the service will be significantly less than that given above. The clinic is still in the process of recruiting new staff so it will take a while for these changes to come into effect.
AttendanceIf you cancel two consecutive appointments, or a number of intermittent appointments, or fail to attend an appointment, we will not offer any further appointments. This is in order to address our long waiting times and time wasted by unfilled appointments, which could be offered to other patients.
Frequently Asked QuestionsPlease click here to read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Information for GPsTo enable us to accept the referral we require a minimum of referral information in writing.
- Past/present mental health issues and any risk assessment;
- Past/present physical health issues;
- Current medications;
- Recent baseline bloods to include the below and results to be forwarded to us via fax on 0114 2718693:
- Full blood count, urea and electrolytes, liver function tests, fasting blood glucose, lipid profile, serum free T4, TSH, testosterone, oestradiol and prolactin (M-F);
- Full blood count, urea and electrolytes, liver function tests, fasting blood glucose, lipid profile, serum free T4, TSH, prolactin, serum estradoil and testosterone (F-M).