Smoke free and nicotine management
Smoke from tobacco is harmful to both the smoker and others. There is no safe level of smoking or being exposed to someone else’s smoke.
We have committed to being a smoke free organisation, and as outlined in our Smoke Free and Nicotine Management Policy, smoking is not permitted in any of our buildings or grounds (including the ward garden areas). This applies to staff, visitors and service users.
We want to encourage all of our staff, service users, their family or carers, to reduce or quit smoking. For those who do not wish to stop smoking, we help them to remain smoke free while on Trust premises.
We know it can be hard being asked not to smoke when you’re admitted to hospital. We are here to support you throughout your stay, and can provide Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) or one-to-one support to help to reduce the discomfort of nicotine withdrawal. We can also help you with switching to an e-cigarette and will help you plan how to do this safely.
What support is provided?
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) is available to help you manage not smoking while on Trust premises. NRT includes nicotine patches, inhalers, gum and lozenges that help take away the urge to smoke.
- Service users may use their own e-cigarettes in designated areas if they prefer.
- Activities are offered to replace the activity of smoking.
- Stop smoking support is available for service users and staff who would like to stop smoking permanently.
- Staff time previously used to assist smoking breaks is available to support service user recovery.
- Staff are offered up to six weeks free NRT as well as face-to-face support.
To find out more about our stop smoking support e-mail email@example.com
Find out more
Below are a range of leaflets that offer specific advice on the support we offer:
Yorkshire Smokefree offer a range of support, advice and encouragement to stop smoking, and it is completely free of charge. Everyone is different, so there are a range of support options available.
Telephone: 0800 612 0011 (free from landlines)
Telephone: 0330 660 1166 (free from most mobiles)
Website: sheffield.yorkshiresmokefree.nhs.uk to find out more, request a call back or to take part in live chat with an advisor online.
Visit them: Quit Shop, 77 The Moor, Sheffield, S1 4PF. Call in advance or drop in where they can offer a confidential and expert service to help you quit smoking for good.
Support is also available through the national smoke free service online at www.nhs.uk/smokefree or by telephoning 0300 1231044 (free) to speak to an expert advisor.
Initiatives we’ve signed up to
We have signed the Breathe 2025 pledge that supports the vision to see the next generation of children born and raised in a place free from tobacco, where smoking is unusual.
You can make the pledge at breathe2025.org.uk
We have also signed up as a partner of Smokefree Sheffield which aims to inspire a smokefree generation in Sheffield.
Find out more at www.smokefreesheffield.org