Complaints and Concerns - Frequently Asked Questions

If I complain about a healthcare professional or a ward I am currently being treated on, will my complaint impact on my care in a negative way?

The Trust welcomes complaints from service users, family and friends as an opportunity to resolve concerns and improve service delivery. Your complaint will be dealt with fully and impartially and we are confident that there will be no repercussions on your care. The Trust’s Complaints Policy supports this.

Can I add further information to my complaint once the investigation has begun?

Certainly and we will pass on any further information received to the investigating officer.

Will I be contacted by the investigating officer once the investigation into my complaint has begun?

It is normal practice for investigating officers to contact the complainant directly in order to have a clear picture of your complaint and your desired outcome. This can be over the telephone or face-to-face. If you do not wish to be contacted as part of this process please tell the Corportate Affairs Team.

I am making a complaint on behalf of someone else. Will consent be required?

If the person you are complaining on behalf of is over the age of 18, and the complaint refers to aspects of their care, we will require written consent from them as we will need access to personal information. It would be helpful if you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else if you supply a written consent at the time you lodge the complaint.

Can you tell me how to get free advice and support?

The Advocacy Hub is a free and independent service that can help you make a complaints about the NHS.

Advocates can help you to understand the NHS complaints process and support you in making a complaint about your issues.  If you do not feel comfortable making a complaint by yourself, or you need support at any time during the complaints process, the Advocacy Hub can give you that support.

Telephone: 0800 035 0396

Fax: 0114 250 9495


Can I complain anonymously?

Yes. We will look at the concerns raised and consider the most appropriate way to take the complaint forward.

I diagree with the outcome of the investigation. Can I appeal the decision?

Yes. In the first instance please contact the Corporate Affairs Team. If after further attempts to resolve your complaint you remain dissatisified you may at that stage refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent of government and the NHS, and the service is confidential and free. The address is:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower


I would like to make a compliment. How do I do this?

Simply email with your compliment and the name of the member of staff and we’ll pass it on!